Sunday, December 5, 2010

Microserfs

When beginning to read Mircroserfs, it becomes quickly apparent that the narrator of the Blog feels that there is
something missing in his life. He describes the daily routine of his life in great detail, but at the same time takes special care in getting the point across that none of these details are out of the ordinary or of much significance. He is somewhat passionate about his work, but lacks the human interaction he seems to really need (such as a more regular social or dating life).
Although he relates to his roommates, since they are all nerdy type computer workers, he seems to feel that he is set apart and rather unhappy with his living situation. My overall vibe of the way he writes about his life is that of unhappiness and at the same time, an acceptance of his unhappiness. It seems as if starting to keep a journal of his life is a final attempt to reach out in hope of a more fulfilling life. A good excerpt that helped me forshadow what will come of this story was :
“Lately I've been unable to sleep. That's why I've begun writing this
journal late at night, to try to see the patterns in my life. From
this I hope to establish what my problem is - and then, hopefully,
solve it. I'm trying to feel more well adjusted than I really am,
which is, I guess, the human condition. My life is lived day to day,
one line of bug-free code at a time.”

I believe this story is going to be about the narrartors journey in finding the balance between his work with computers and becoming more fulfilled as a person. He introduces his roommates and describes his college type lifestyle. I believe that his blogs over the course of the story will follow the lives of himself and his roommates as they struggle to grow into their own people and find their individual molds in life.


This novel is very much about our times and concerns because of the technological theme with the character’s lives. The 1990’s were a very technological erra, and one that we can relate to, because we can remember the technologies in our own households growing up in the 1990’s. I think it will be interesting to read a bit about the people who were behind the technologies that I was being introduced to around the age of 5. Of course, there are concerns with all technology as new technologies replace old ones, and I am sure as this story progresses, it will discuss some of these issues. Surely things have changed since 1995, but we are still in a time where computer technology is advancing aggressively and there are many young people just like these characters who probably find the struggle between their time consuming technological jobs and their social needs/desires.

No comments:

Post a Comment