Sunday, September 12, 2010

Is Google Making Us Stupid?

I found this article interesting, but also to be very repatative. I have often thought about the idea that technology makes us use our brains in a different way and in many cases (like texting or facebook), makes our language and reading skills regress because of the poor writing and thinking we use. However I do not necessarily agree that Google is making us stupid. Yes, when we research information on the internet, we read bits and peices of many articles but perhaps this is giving us a broader more well rounded view of a topic than we would get by thouroughly reading one or two hard copies.
I also think that any essay written on a topic of techonology seems to be heavily swayed to the prospective of the time period in which the writer grew up. If you grow up with internet, you will tend to not think it as making you stupid because it is all youve ever known. For example, since internet was commercialized in the 90's, I have had it in my household since I was about 6. Because of this life long familiarity, I dont beleive my mind has been altered very much. I grew up in a time period where the internet was quickly becoming the norm.
Overall Nicholas Carr has a good, valid point and puts forth alot of evidence that the internet is responsible for changing the way we think, but in my opinion it isnt making us stupid. It is just making our minds adapt and think differently. Perhaps more quickly and efficiently for the time period in which we live.

No comments:

Post a Comment